If you’re a boater in the Midwest or Northeast, you know how important it is to properly store your boat during cold weather.
You likely have an entire routine for getting your boat and aluminum boat dock out of the water, but if you’re a new boater, do you have a plan?
Consider this before storing your boat for those frigid winter months:
- Pay attention to any issues that need repair or replacement. Look for cracks in the hull, which can worsen over time.
- Remove your boat from the water and drain the water tanks, head, and pipes.
- Grease the steering system and control mechanisms.
- Scrub the entirety of your boat with soap and water, including the interior. Open any interior lockers, drawers, refrigerators, and freezers and clean those as well – you don’t want any surprises come springtime!
- Flush the engine (including the coolant system) with fresh water to remove any dirt and corrosion. Refill your coolant system with antifreeze, and replace the oil and all filters
- Keep your boat protected with a cover that can withstand brutal weather, including snow and ice! You might even consider shrink-wrapping your boat for additional protection. Just like you would with a parked car, remove any snow buildup on a regular basis during the snowy season.
- Lastly, if the option is available to you, consider a boat house for storage!
Protect Your Boat and Aluminum Boat Dock with Alumi-Span!
Every experienced boater needs a great boat dock, and Alumi-Span has the knowledge and expertise to make that happen for your family. Our docks are made of the highest quality materials and we’ve got the accessories you need for a boat house, too. Contact us today to find out more!